Simple & Authentic curry.
- 1 lb Spinach
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 in piece root ginger, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lb potatoes, cut into 1 in chunks
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Wash & trim the spinach, then blanch it in a saucepan of boiling water for about 3-4 minutes.
- Drain the spinach thoroughly and set aside. when it cool enough to handle, use your hands to squeeze out any remaining liquid.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan and fry the mustard seeds for 2 minutes or until they splutter.
- Add the sliced onion, garlic cloves and chopped ginger to the mustard seed and fry for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the potato chunks, chili powder, salt and water and stir-fry for a further 8 minutes.
- Add the drained spinach. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 10- 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve hot.