- 2 medium eggplant
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 or 3 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped or 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes.
- 1 tsp dried herbs, salt and freshly grounded black pepper
- Preheat the broiler. Cut the eggplant into 3/4 inch, then brush with olive oil on both sides and broil until lightly browned, turning once. Cut the slices into cubes.
- Heat the 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a large pan and cook the onion over low heat for about 10 minutes until lightly golden, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, pepper and zucchini and cook for 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and egg plant cubes, dried herbs, salt and pepper and simmer gently, covered over low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and continue cooking for 20-25 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until all the vegetables are tender and the cooking liquid has thickened slightly. Serve the ratatouille hot.